[IPython-dev] "Unsigned Message" error in a forking kernel manager

Min RK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed May 30 03:42:36 EDT 2012

-MinRK

On May 29, 2012, at 10:42 PM, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:

> On 5/30/12 12:14 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
>> But that's all beside the point, because the normal way to communicate
>>> connections to the kernel is through a*file*  (App.connection_file
>>> configurable).
>
> How about if the "file name" is a basestring/string, then it be
> considered a filename, but if not, it be treated as just a file object?
>  That allows for configuration information to be stored much more
> flexibly.  For example, we might have a central server that stores all
> configuration information in a database, and is accessed using a custom
> API.  Why the insistence that we always pass config information in a
> file in a directory on disk, rather than a more generic file-like
> object, with a convenience shortcut of a string meaning a file on disk?

We don't insist, and it's not required.  It's just the cleanest and best model we have found for every existing use case thus far.  If you don't want to use a connection file, then simply specify the values with a config object, similar to what you were doing in the first go.  I only changed your script to use the connection file because it re-uses more existing code, and is thus simpler, clearer, and less prone to mistakes.  If there is a *reason* to not use the connection file, then simply don't.  I don't see any need for a file-like object.

-MinRK