[IPython-dev] live coding

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Mon May 28 11:14:03 EDT 2012

This is an amazing vision of (among other things) live interactive coding:

http://vimeo.com/36579366

Bret Victor (who gave the above talk) "has designed experimental UI
concepts at Apple, interactive data graphics for Al Gore, and musical
instruments at Alesis." He shows several amazing demos of what coding
could be like if it was really truly interactive.

Some real-life implementations of some of these ideas are here:

http://mainstem.org/ (click on an example, and then click any number or
color in the code)

http://gabrielflor.it/water (click on any number)

I challenge us to think of ways to implement some of these principles in
our tools.  I don't usually use the word transformative, but I think
this really would be transformative in how we approach coding and the
ipython or sage tools.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. Actually, Bret Victor's website has a number of other writeups of
visions and demos that are very intriguing: http://worrydream.com/.
Read some of the papers in the "Research" section to see some really
cool concepts.