[IPython-dev] excepthook-like behavior in ipython

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:22:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Carl Smith <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember hearing that stdin in Notebook was something that you knew
> how to implement, but needed time to get done. I was just wondering
> what's going on with that.

Haven't had any time to work on that, I'm afraid.  It's not super
difficult, but it does require some knowledge of the networking bits.

> Recently, I've been playing around on EC2, where having Notebook as a
> fully functional, remote shell would be enormously useful. The current
> need to have a bunch of stuff installed on your local machine before
> you can actually use The Cloud is ridiculous.

You can *sort of* use it already with

!cmd

the only thing that doesn't work is truly interactive stuff that
requires stdin reading.  For now, in a cloud scenario the only
reasonable solution is to ssh into your notebook node and use

ipython console --existing [json info]

after getting the connection info with %connect_info.  Fortunately
starcluster makes the process of ssh-ing into your notebook node
completely trivial, so it's not a completely absurd solution.

Obviously in the long run we want real stdin in the notebook, I'm just
offering a temporary workaround.  And if you're not using starcluster
for your EC2 setup, switch to it right away: it will save you a LOT of
time and effort.