[IPython-dev] We might actually make 0.13 by June 30, jump in to make it possible!

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:17:21 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Carl Smith <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope. I can't get this to work. I tried editing one of the files in
> 0.13 and it told me it would fork it for me, but the fork is of
> master.
>
> I'm lost now :(

Sorry Carl, some quick help but I'm in the middle of a pile of
non-ipython things so I'll have to keep this brief.  Basically you
need to:

1. clik the 'fork' button on the ipython-website repo so you have your own fork
2. clone that fork locally to your computer
3. check out the 0.13 branch (the one Thomas made)
4. make a *new* branch off that one, with your new commits, say '0.13-carl'
5. push that new branch to *your* fork on github
6. got to github, and ask for a pull request from '0.13-carl' in your
repo to '0.13' in the official repo.

This is the standard PR workflow, with only one twist: that you're
branching off a branch other than master, step 3 above.

I hope this sketch gets you going, with a bit of manual
experimentation until you're comfortable with the details.