[IPython-dev] Emacs/Vim keybindings in the notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:55:46 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd argue that for something as common as save, it's more important to be
>> consistent with the standard 'save' shortcut in just about every other
>> application. Of course, Ctrl-m s should still work as well, but Ctrl+S is
>> really universal.

In this case I agree with Thomas that C-s would make a lot of sense
for our save, especially be cause the default action by the browser is
'Save as HTML', which in the editable view is fairly nonsensical given
all the css for live cells.  I bet many users will instinctively type
C-s and end up with the useless html save dialog, so providing more
sensible behavior in that case would be good.

What I don't know is whether we *can* capture C-s, it may be
browser-dependent.  So C-m-s should definitely remain valid, for the
platforms where we can't get a hold of C-s.