[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:48:30 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM, John Fawcett <fawce at quantopian.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the long-form edit case is very promising. It borders on full blown
> development, and seems to imply the eventual unification of the cellular
> edit style with the file-oriented style of a typical editor. Is that the
> idea? (Aside: i signed up for c9.io based on the Ace editor project, and it
> is the best online IDE I've tried - they have tabbed editors btw).
>
> - I tried selecting a block in a cell, and it seemed like tab did indent,
> and shift-tab de-indented. Is that what you meant by indentation support?

Yes, I think we can get this to work in CodeMirror though.

> - the total lack of docstring support in CM is annoying, maybe it is
> feasible to patch CM to support it properly?

Yes, very much so.

> - CM has a decent demo of search/replace, that I think is as good as Ace:
> http://codemirror.net/demo/search.html

We should be able to adapt this to the notebook.

> My free advice (which is worth what you pay for it :) ) is to aim to have
> one editor for cell and long-form editing. It seems like getting the
> docstring and indentation support in CM would have to be compared to getting
> Ace to support multiple editors on one page.

Yes, we would like the notebook to be a complete environment for doing
development work.  There is no reason we shouldn't allow regular .py
files to be open and edited in a CM editor.

I think that getting Ace to support multiple editors would be quite
difficult - more difficult than fixing CM in the above areas.