[IPython-dev] Introduction to Contributing workshop (Python Sheffield)

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:12:11 EST 2012

On 02/29/2012 09:27 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 29 February 2012 20:22, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com
> <mailto:asmeurer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I would think that in most cases, installing would not be
>     necessary at all, but it should be sufficient to just work straight
>     out of the git directory.
>

> I'm not sure that our test suite can be run without installing - and at
> least two of the five groups (those working on Python 3, and on the Qt
> console), needed to install it even to replicate their bug.
>
> Thomas

you can run py2 the testsuite without installing and even without X with:
LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 PATH=$PWD/IPython/scripts/:$PATH PYTHONPATH=$PWD xvfb-run -s "-screen 0 1280x1024x24 -noreset" python $PWD/IPython/scripts/iptest -v;

this is what the debian package does.
I still did not have time to look at running py3 tests but it should be possible to run it from the build directory with a little wrapper script to call the entry point.
Now that debian has py3 nose I should have a look at that.