[IPython-dev] Embedding shell+matplotlib in the same Qt GUI

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Feb 2 06:55:53 EST 2012

Am Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2012, 17:55:43 schrieb Ray Osborn:
> I'm out of my depth here, so I would welcome some advice. Is the in-process
> kernel that Robert Kern discussed in December the way to go, …

Exactly.  The single-process model has the main advantage of making exactly
this possible (*), i.e. embedding a python shell into a GUI app.

Don’t know about the current status though, but I bet every "early adopter"
(OK, contributor ;-) ) will speed the process up.  We need users/applications
for shaping the API anyway.

HTH,
  Hans

* In fact, the two-process model does not make it completely impossible to do
this, but it would involve embedding of other processes GUIs, which I only
know something about on Unix (cf. QX11EmbedContainer).  The advantage could be
better busy/interrupt behavior, AFAICS.