[IPython-dev] Template cells

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:19:35 EST 2012

Le 15 déc. 2012 à 22:09, Nicholas Bollweg a écrit :

> I'm not sure if you meant we should form a valid execute request, but I
> think we should definitely *not* construct a string which is an execute
> request (i.e., we should not be constructing python code in the
> browser).
> To clarify: is it a Bad Thing to be editing the contents of a CodeCell with an interactive widget? Kinda planning on doing this with the Blockly extension i am working on.

I think there is a fundamental difference which is that here you want to write a widget for a language that is **by definition** a graphic language.
So generating code from that is unavoidable.

The question is could you just have a handler on kernel side that receives data and do what needs to be done with those data.

I'm not sure of what your end-goal is, but keep in mind that you can bind custom kernel to IPython notebook.
So if a blocky kernel make any sense... it might be more what you are looking for.
--
Matthias