[IPython-dev] Style Rules for Notebook

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:42:22 EDT 2012

Le 22 août 2012 à 12:24, Carl Smith a écrit :

> On 21 August 2012 14:30, Matthias Bussonnier
> <bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Use '.rendered_html h1' to apply style only to cells.
>
> Got it. I've done that now. My CSS skills aren't the best.
>
>> Bootstrap is "twitter bootstrap" css/js. google for it you'll find it. Or
>> look at my 'build js toolbar' PR, comment near the end.
>
> I had a look at this. From what I gather, this would just mean
> reimplementing the CSS. Do you see Brian using bootstrap as being a
> problem for what I'm suggesting here? I didn't think you meant that,
> but just wanted to be sure I'm not going down a dead end.

Bootstrap might just change some other inherited properties, so the CSS might have to be re-tweeked later.

> I've attached another version of the file. This one doesn't have
> external fonts, uses h1, h2 and h3 for the headers, has less cheesy
> CSS for the title, and has been rewritten.

I'll looked at it.

> Assuming the other guys like the idea, what should I do with it? I
> mean in terms of submitting it. Should I just fork IPython and open a
> PR now, or carry on with a demo notebook until people are happy with
> the look?
Open a PR whenever you want.
You can always overwrite what you've pushed.

> This is the first open source project I've tried to get involved with,
> so I'm still pretty naive. It's all baby steps at the moment, so
> thanks for your patience.

Don't be afraid to ask.
Usually
 - Fork on github.
 - If possible create a branch with an explicit name, push it on github
 - Click on Open a PR (github is smart and often tell you "you pushed a new branch, would you like to open a PR)

When you want to update smth, push on the same branch, the PR will update itself.

Don't hesitate to open a PR even before finishing the code, if you need advice, wan't to ask where to change/find something.
--
Matthias