[IPython-dev] Heads-up (esp. Thomas) - eyes needed on 74c10b3c

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 13:21:03 EDT 2012

On 14 April 2012 10:17, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/commit/74c10b3c03e377612b54eac8eb19fe0c95930683
>
> but I'd like in particular Thomas to have a look in case there's
> anything specific to our py3 machinery I should/could have done
> differently.  I think it's OK, but since I don't use py3 regularly, a
> bit of review would be good (and  in any case, for these kinds of
> unreviewed emergency commits, post-hoc review is always a good
> practice).

We're interpolating a bytes string into a regular string, which
doesn't quite work as expected:

commit = "b'816e3fa'"

We'll need to explicitly decode it first.

Apart from that, since the file should always be pure ASCII, it should
be possible to use the built in open() function, rather than
io.open(), and avoid having to do map(unicode, ...).

I'll prepare a small PR to add to our stack ;-)

Thomas