[IPython-dev] Integrating pandas into pylab

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Oct 26 11:00:52 EDT 2011

Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2011, 15:43:10 schrieb Thomas Kluyver:
> On 26 October 2011 14:25, John Hunter <jdh2358 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If someone pursues this, I would not call it pylab, as this
> > will just foster confusion.
>
> I kind of agree with this, although it's a bit unfortunate, because I think
> people already see pylab as a unified interface to scientific Python stuff.

Really??  I always saw pylab as a MatLab-oriented, high-level frontend for
MPLs plotting capabilities, no more, no less.  OTOH, having numpy stuff loaded
with "ipython --pylab" made sense to me and was welcomed convenience, but I
would never rely on numpy stuff being in the pylab namespace.

Of course, I only speak for a part of the audience.

For me, ipython is the unifying project for interactive work, and I can live
fine with the current namespaces in scripts I write (of course, never [ab]using
'from foo import *', which would render pyflakes useless anyway).

Have a nice day,
  Hans