[IPython-dev] Tk pylab annoyance

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:06:33 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:

> when starting ipython --pylab=tk I loose focus from the terminal window
> at startup. Unless I press some key during startup before the prompt
> appears. Anyone else seeing this? I'm on windows 7 python 2.6 and with
> ipython master.
>
> Anyone got any ideas what could cause this?

I suspect it's the creation of the tk root window by matplotlib.  I
don't know if the focus behavior of Tk is user controllable, sorry.
If nobody from the mpl list responds here, perhaps you could ping
their list in case one of their devs knows that codepath better.  If
there's anything we can do from ipython to influence that behavior,
I'd love to hear, because I've been annoyed by it in the past too.