[IPython-dev] multiline history

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:02:15 EDT 2011

On 18 October 2011 21:56, Jörgen Stenarson <jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu>wrote:

> why have multiline history become the default in the terminal (master)?
>
> At least on windows this makes no sense since pyreadline can not edit
> more than one line.

After some discussion on IRC, we decided it was the better default, because
it's fiddly to reconstruct even a couple of lines if there are 20 other
lines since, and at least on Unix, you can go across multiple lines,
although it's not very convenient.

Maybe the default needs to be platform dependent. But if you're using
multiline editing a lot, we strongly encourage people to use the Qt console
instead.

Thomas