[IPython-dev] %edit magic in new frontends

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:40:09 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> The one thing I don't think you can easily do is editing a macro and have it
> redefined from the edited code. You'd have to do '%recall macro', edit, run,
> '%macro 52'. But I guess if you've got a better multi-line cell environment,
> macros are less important.

Yes.  I realize macros get trickier here, but when I first wrote the
macro system, I thought of it as a poor man's solution to ease some of
the pain of not having decent multiline editing.  So I think for now
it's not the end of the world if "%edit macro" isn't great in the Qt
console, since I imagine it will be so rarely (if at all) used.

And as you indicated, %recall provides pretty much that functionality
in-console (since I don't expect anyone to be writing 100-line
macros), so I think we're Ok there.