[IPython-dev] get_ipython() versus _ip

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 19:55:46 EDT 2011

The logic was that we want to minimize the things we insert into the
global namespace.
The name get_ipython is 1) less likely to run into collisions than
generic things like _ip and 2)
get_ipython suggest that it is a public API, whereas all of the _ and
__ names suggest that
it is a private API.

I know it is not great, but I like having something that is public but
we want to avoid name
collisions.  I am definitely open to ideas though.

Brian