[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] New favicon

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 18:34:40 EDT 2011

On 15 June 2011 23:13, Carl Joseph Younger <carl.input at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Even's right about the ][ looking strange. I'm not sure what
> you guys are trying to do, but it aint working. I don't want to sound
> arrogant, I just want to be frank ~ the artwork offered here sucks.
> The site itself is looking really nice and the new text in the banner
> looks good, but on the branding side of things, it's just crazy.

Thanks for your input, Carl. I think perhaps your artistic tastes are a bit
different to most of the people commenting here. I think we're going for a
more minimalistic look. Your logo is technically impressive, but (speaking
for myself at least), the extra elements and colours look somewhat
distracting.

I agree matplotlib's logo isn't perhaps a perfect example. Perhaps Sphinx's
banner shows better the sort of thing we're aiming for:
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

Fernando:
> It seems to me that, given the lack of any clear consensus/happiness on
new ideas, a conservative approach should win.

OK. Does anyone want to have a crack at a favicon to fit in with that?

This is the advantage of having a BDFL. These questions get resolved and we
can get on. ;-)

Thanks,
Thomas