[IPython-dev] Website

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:22:49 EDT 2011

On 8 June 2011 19:11, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, that is already so much nicer than what we
> had, that I'd be happy to move *today*.  It would be great to give our
> scipy'11 talk with 0.11 off a nice new website :)

Excellent!

>  The points I can think of are:
>
> - wiki: do we move off moin to the github one?  That seems a
> no-brainer to me, but I haven't actually used the gh wiki, so perhaps
> it's not a good idea for some reason I'm not aware of.

It's kind of orthogonal - so long as we leave the relevant parts of the
current wiki up, we can link to them. We can move that stuff to Github and
update the links at any point.

> - logistics of moving: the hosting is currently off the scipy.org
> server.  Thomas, I'm happy to give you login access on the ipython
> account if you just send me your public ssh key.
>
> Alternatively we can look into hosting it elsewhere if we want to have
> a more updated platform.  The scipy.org server is stuck in a time
> dilation bubble running Fedora 4, released 6 years ago and
> unmaintained for almost as many, so doing anything useful on that
> server is a major exercise in frustration, since you're stuck running
> python2.4 and ages-old libraries.  I do have a dreamhost account with
> unlimited hosting that is at least running debian 5 and has some more
> up-to-date tools (though we'd still need to do a home build of
> python2.6/3 on it).  I also own the ipython.org  domain, which
> currently just redirects to ipython.scipy.org, but we could switch to
> using that.

I suggest we use github pages, have www.ipython.org as the primary domain,
and ipython.scipy.org as a redirect to it. ipython.github.com would also
automatically become a redirect.

Thanks,
Thomas