[IPython-dev] Screenshot of Visual Studio integration?

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 02:14:51 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 22:01, Fernando Perez
<Fernando.Perez at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi Dino,
>
> thanks for the Visual Studio screenshot, just in time for the 0.11
> release notes!
>
> I'm forwarding your email to the -dev list because I'm out of the
> country and with very spotty availability at the moment.  I'm back in
> the States next week and in a more normal schedule, but I'm sure  in
> the meantime others on thie list may be able to lend a helping hand.
>
> Cheers,

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 16:46, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> It was good to see you at SciPy as well.  Sorry for the delay, hopefully this isn't too late,
>> and thanks for doing this!   It's been a rough couple of weeks finishing up our release
>> and I had a few problems getting this running, but I have a simple screen shot going.
>> Let me know if you'd like it to be smaller or have suggestions on something else I
>> should show.
>>
>> Here's what I ran into:
>>
>> Ipcluster documentation is out of date in that it mentions "ipcluster create" which
>> no longer seems to be valid:
>>
>> An IPython cluster consists of 1 controller and 1 or more engines. This command
>> automates the startup of these processes using a wide range of startup methods
>> (SSH, local processes, PBS, mpiexec, Windows HPC Server 2008). To start a
>> cluster with 4 engines on your local host simply do 'ipcluster start n=4'. For
>> more complex usage you will typically do 'ipcluster create profile=mycluster',
>> then edit configuration files, followed by 'ipcluster start profile=mycluster
>> n=4'.

I think this was fixed some weeks ago, but looking over it again, I
did find another typo.

>> That's just a small wart, but I'm having troubles getting up and running on the
>> WinHPC cluster.  In particular I think you've just tightened up your security model
>> but I'm not sure exactly what steps I should do to setup the SSH server.  Have you
>> tried this or do you know anyone who has tried this on Windows?  Should I just
>> setup OpenSSH on the cluster and the client and setup keys?

I have run localhost clusters on Windows, and I understand that Brian
has succeeded in running it with WinHPC.  Windows use is certainly the
least tested, especially with tunnels.

We haven't exactly tightened our security, but since zeromq provides
exactly none, we have to restrict our connections to 'trusted
networks'.  This means that if you want to traverse an untrusted
boundary, you must use ssh tunnels, VPNs, or some such tool.  We do
support paramiko, so you shouldn't need to use openssh on Windows, but
I honestly don't know what the best choice is.  You will need an SSH
server running in a location that has access to the port the
Controller listens on, but as I understand it, Paramiko has the
ability to run a simple tunnel server.  This, I have never tried.

If your machines *are* on a trusted, secure network, you can simply
listen on external interfaces and have no need for ssh.  Simply
specify:

c.HubFactory.ip='*'

(or c.HubFactory.ip='0.0.0.0' if '*' doesn't work for some reason)

to make your Controller listen on all interfaces.

-MinRK