[IPython-dev] Issues with building documentation

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 17:51:20 EST 2011

There seem to be some issues with getting the docs to build. My guess would
be that these only show up if you've not built the docs before.

On Fernando's instructions, I went into docs and ran ./gh-pages.py. This
tries to call "git describe", which fails because it can't find annotated
tags. I peeked at the source, took a guess, and ran "./gh-pages.py dev".
This gets further, but fails when it tries to copy build/html into the new
repo, because I haven't yet built the docs at all.

Next, I try to build the html docs with "make html". This sets out, but then
falls over at:

ValueError: Could not import class or module
'IPython.Extensions.PhysicalQInteractive' specified for inheritance diagram

This looks like a leftover from old code - our extensions directory is now
all lower case, and there's no PhysicalQInteractive module there.

Is there some sort of preparation step I've overlooked? Or is this area in
need of some attention?

Thanks,
Thomas