[IPython-dev] Ascii imshow

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 20:01:54 EST 2011

Hi Nicolas,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Nicolas Rougier
<Nicolas.rougier at inria.fr> wrote:
> After reading the commentaries, I realize there are still some work to do before the code can be properly integrated within IPython and I will try to make a nicer version as well as fully document it (using the template.py). For the git pull, I'm not very familiar with it and I don't know the proper command to pull or push, woudl yu have any pointer on this ?

Yes, the first 4 sections of our developer guide document coding and
documentation guidelines, as well as the pull request process with
github:

http://ipython.github.com/ipython-doc/dev/development/index.html

If you've never used git/github and get confused with any of the
steps, please do let us know and we'll do our best to help.  While
there's a little learning curve at the beginning, I think you'll find
that learning to use git/github will pay off in many ways in your
work.  Many scientific python projects have either already moved or
are in the process of moving to git and/or github (numpy, ipython,
enthought.*, nipy.*, sympy, and over the next few days matplotlib and
scipy, likely many others too).

> For making the code to work with the QT console, it would require to parse the string sent to the console and interpret the ascii sequences. I did it some time ago for a gtk/ipython console but I'm not familiar at all with qt. (parsing code is of course available if one want to work on it).

Interestingly, the behavior of the Qt console was *identical* to that
of the Linux text console (the 'bare' screen console, outside of X11).
 I don't know why that would be the case, just a data point for you...

But for now, working in an xterm is already good.