[IPython-dev] ipython-qtconsole and docstrings

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:19:20 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 06:59, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This morning I updated my zmq/pyzmq and tried running
> ipython-qtconsole from the master branch. I had let my zeromq
> installation get behind ipython development, and so I'm rediscovering
> how awesome is the qtconsole. Having docstrings pop up at "(" is
> great. I noticed though, that depending on the location of the mouse
> pointer, the docstring may only briefly appear. It seems more likely
> to occur if the pointer is located inside the region where the
> docstring will be rendered. I'm running "ipython-qtconsole --pylab" on
> a Snow Leopard machine, with native (not X-based) Qt provided by
> MacPorts. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Yes, this is my experience, also on OSX 10.6.6, with native PyQt from
their website.  The behavior is inconsistent, but seems more likely if
the cursor is hovering over the popup, and also more likely if the
popup is large.

Another (probably) OSX-specific glitch: You cannot copy with 'cmd-c',
because pressing command triggers an event that clears the selection.