[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] [SciPy-User] [ANN] IPython 0.12 is out!

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:02:27 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know we plan to continue the short release cycle with at least two
> more significant releases in 2012, but do we want to have a 'bugfix'
> branch for possible 0.12.1?  We were bitten pretty hard by the pyzmq
> version-check bug, and we probably should have cut  0.11.1 with the
> fix, which we had in master two months before the issue came up.
>
> I suppose we don't have to make a decision until we make our first
> change that shouldn't go into an incremental release, but I thought I
> would float the idea.  I don't think we have to make such a release
> unless we find a potential bug that justifies one, but I think the
> cost of making 0.11.1 would have been lower than the time we spent
> saying "duplicate of #XYZ, fixed in master" on GitHub.

Agreed.  It's easy enough to make such a branch after the fact, if it
proves to be necessary, and to cherry pick anything from master we'd
like to see in there.  I agree that we probably should have cut a
0.11.1 for that silly bug :)

In this case there's an added incentive to a bugfix branch: while
we'll most likely get 0.12 included in ubuntu 12.04, they won't do a
version upgrade to 0.13.  But I think they do push minor bugfix-only
updates, so it would help anyone in an environment that sticks to the
default ubuntu LTS policies get at least the most critical fixes.

Cheers