[IPython-dev] Inprocess kernel for Qt frontend

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:23:05 EST 2011

With a bit of hacking and code duplication, I managed to get the IPythonWidget
Qt frontend to talk to an inprocess kernel.

   https://gist.github.com/1416977

I originally did this work against an older version of IPython (i.e. when we
used names like XReqSocketChannel) but haven't been able to release it publicly
until now. I have updated it to run off of master. I may have missed some
necessary changes. I also may have missed some opportunities; could we use the
BlockingKernelManager to do the same thing now?

I certainly don't want this code integrated into IPython as-is (hence a gist
rather than a pull request), but it exists as a workaround for people who do
want to embed an IPython interpreter into their Qt application. Is there a way
we can extend the IPython API to support this more directly so one does not have
to duplicate code the way I did?

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."