[IPython-dev] PythonAnywhere update, 18 August 2011

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:23:44 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> IPython people, take a look at the link above. I'd like to feature this as a
> link on the homepage, so new users can see what IPython does before they
> install it. Does this sound like a good idea? And what text would work next
> to it? I'm thinking along the lines of a brief list of things to try:
> - dict.<tab> (or a better example of tab completion)
> - Flipping through history
> - dict?
> - An easy to understand but clearly useful magic command. Maybe %time or
> %save.

Certainly!  Thanks to the pythonanywhere team for this, it's very cool.

Some more ideas (slightly more advanced):

- %run, and further interactive exploration of the resulting variables.
- %run, with an example script that has an error in it so they see tracebacks.
- %debug

I think the interplay between %run and interactive use is one of the
key things people need to 'get' about using ipython productively..