[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] IPython (new) + matplotlib report: happy news

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Sep 14 21:23:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> > True... but, consider this.  ipython can already display the code for a
> > particular module/function using the '??' idiom.  Why not have some way
> > take that text and bring it into the input buffer?
>
> Yes, but that's a separate issue.  The approach you propose would
> likely have in ex.demo_somehting() a stub to retrieve the actual
> example code as a string from a file elsewhere, because (at least
> right now) the mpl examples are written as 100% standalone files, not
> as functions inside of some other control module.  What you are saying
> does apply to the mayavi.mlab.test_*() functions, that do serve as
> examples precisely in that manner, since those *do* contain their code
> inside the functions.
>
> So for the matplotlib examples, that live in standalone files, we'd
> still need something different.

Well, my idea was predicated upon what I said previously that matplotlib
should package the examples into a useful module with function call.  This
way, one could have been able to run the demos and view the code just like
any other piece of code in matplotlib.

> > I can imagine this being useful beyond matplotlib where anybody could
> have
> > their example codes easily accessed and edited.
>
> Certainly!  Right now the pager is a very simple tool, but I hope that
> once we put this code out we'll get contributions from enterprising Qt
> coders who may improve it and add things like a button that would copy
> the code from the source part of an info pane and paste it in the
> interactive area, all with a single click.
>
> We want to settle the core protocol/messaging behavior first, and once
> this is ready and people test it a little, I really hope we'll get
> contributions that enhance the user experience very much in this
> manner.

That is a good gameplan.  What I have seen of ipython is very good and
really resolves a lot of gripes I have had with my typical python
development workflow.  Keep up the good work!

Ben Root