[IPython-dev] Pasting fix, unicode woes

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 19:22:31 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can this be run without installing? I'm working with ipython in a standard
> directory, so as not to confuse versions. I did find you could get it via
> "from IPython.testing import iptest", but then iptest.run_iptest() hangs in
> the middle of testing (unless this is just a very slow test).

Oh yes, either have a copy/symlink of iptest in your $PATH, or use
that trick to run it by hand.  But you do need to have that version of
ipython be the one that is imported, obviously.  For that you can
either:

1 symlink  the IPython/ directory to your something in your PYTHONPATH
2 add the parent directory of IPython to your PYTHONPATH
3 use setupegg.py develop in a virtualenv

I personally use #1, I think Brian uses #3...