[IPython-dev] Uniform way of integrating event loops among different IDE's

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:04:28 EDT 2010

Hi Almar,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Almar Klein <almar.klein at gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds great! I'll take a look at filling in the blanks for tk, fltk
> and gtk if you like.

that would be great. Note that as far as we've seen, in light testing
it seems that for gtk nothing is needed: with this code on our side:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/newkernel/IPython/zmq/gui/gtkembed.py

every single gtk example I've tried so far has worked (with the only
caveat being that you have to close them with the window manager
buttons rather than the app's own close button/menu).  So we may be
home free for gtk, though that's still up for confirmation with more
testing and someone more knowledgeable in the matter than me.

It also looks like something similar may be OK for tk, where with a
bit of hijacking from our side, we can let unmodified Tk code run
happily within our own environment.

For Qt/Wx it definitely seems that the cooperation via guisupport will
be needed.  And for fltk, I have no idea.

Thanks for your help and interest!

Regards,