[IPython-dev] can delete prompts in ipythonqt

Evan Patterson epatters at enthought.com
Thu Sep 2 20:10:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Evan Patterson <epatters at enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fernando: I thought I had hijacked all the possible ways to paste
>> code, but I forgot about middle click (I never use that one). I will
>> also fix this tomorrow.
>>

> Thanks, Evan.
>
> BTW, I'm trying to implement all the messaging spec, but it's really
> tricky to trace in the Qt code if something isn't quite right, because
> it just sits silent and there's no output anywhere.  Any hints on how
> to get it to be more verbose about what it's doing?

The fundamental issue is that the frontend has no way to tell whether
a reply that has not come back from the kernel is a result of the
kernel being broken or merely busy--the frontend has no choice but to
be silent. Although I've never seen the frontend outright freeze, you
can verify that this has not happened by pressing Ctrl-Period.

The only way to verify that the kernel is sending the messages is to
look at the debug output.

Evan