[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] Uniform GUI support across matplotlib, ets and ipython

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 16:13:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> 1. Our networking event loop that is based on zeromq/pyzmq
>> 2. A single GUI event loop from wx, qt4, etc.
>>
>> We do this by triggering an iteration of our networking
>> event loop on a periodic GUI timer.
>
> So right now you're in a loop in which you let qt4 (or wx) watch the file descriptors qt4 needs, then zeromq the file descriptors that zeromq needs, and so on?

ZMQ sockets are not really sockets in that they do not have a file
descriptor interface.  That is something that is being worked on in
the zeromq development, but it is not there yet.  Also, I don't think
the API will be fully compatible, so I am not sure how it will play
with what Qt is expecting.

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics