[IPython-dev] IPython handles code input as latin1 instead of the system encoding

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:53:14 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost at raisama.net> wrote:

> I just built and installed from latest git (commit
> 4e2d3af2a82b31fb523497eccb7ca0cfebd9d169). Things look worse. Crash report is
> below.

yes, I saw that, it's terrible, and it's my fault: it comes from the
recent big refactoring I did of the execution flow.  We do have
unicode unit tests, but unfortunately some of the code paths only get
exercised by a human at the console, so they are hard to catch in
automated testing.

I unfortunately have something urgent right now and won't be able to
deal with this until tomorrow at best.   In the meantime, I pushed a
fix that at least prevents the crash, but unicode input is ignored:

In [1]: "á"

In [1]:

Highly sub-optimal, but better than crashing, until I can work on this
(hopefully tomorrow).  I'll think better of how to put in automated
tests that mimic user input at a console, so that we get these issues
in our test suite and not in user experience.

Sorry...