[IPython-dev] New ipythonqt console questions/feedback

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:53:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response!  I have a few responses in-line below
> (also a question about the issue tracker), but I also thought of one
> more thing that I was unclear about:
>
> As I understand it, the new 2-process model is in place to decouple
> the console from the execution kernel.  Given this, is there a
> straightforward way to close the ipythonqt terminal (or a standard
> ipython terminal) while leaving the execution kernel operating?  I was
> able to connect to the kernel with a second ipythonqt console, but
> don't see a way to disconnect the first terminal from the execution
> kernel without killing the execution kernel... Or is that conversion
> process for the parallel computing work that you said was still in
> progress? It seems like this is a valuable capability that would
> finally let me get away from using gnu screen whenever I want to be
> able to check in on a python process remotely (a common use-case for
> me)...
>

>>> * Is it possible to execute the new-style ipython profiles when
>>> ipythonqt starts?  Looking at the ipythonqt main, it doesn't look to
>>> me like it's in there, but seems potentially pretty straightforward.
>>> This is the most crucial change for me as I have a lot of things that
>>> I want loaded by default (especially "from __future__ import division"
>>> !)
>>
>> Not yet, it's very high on the todo list.  We simply haven't
>> implemented *any* configurability yet, I'm afraid.
>
> Ok, I might take a crack at this if I have a chance - seems pretty
> straightforward.

Erik,

I just wanted to let you know that I am planning on working on this
(the configuration stuff) over the next few weeks.  We implemented a
new configuration system last summer and it needs some updating and
cleanup that I am planning on doing as part of this work.  I will keep
you posted on the progress.

Cheers,

Brian