[IPython-dev] make ipython work over web

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Fri Mar 26 19:07:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

it just occurred to me that it'd be a cool idea to be able to use
ipython as the Sage/FEMhub notebook, in particular, you would use it
just like regular ipython in the terminal (only at the beginning you
would log in) and it would interface the Sage/FEMhub server over some
API (I am playing with json-rpc api at [0]) and I guess it would
always create a new worksheet and only allow to add new cells at the
bottom (which is the way ipython works).

So it will be a nice thin client. I don't know how this fits in the
recent ipython refactoring. Essentially I am trying to figure out some
nice API for evaluating cells, doctests ("?"), code inspection ("??"),
code completion ("TAB"), and it takes some time to always implement
this in the web notebook directly, so I want to play with this in a
simple terminal client.

Essentially almost all ipython features could work remotely over some
API. And the web notebook would then use the exact same interface, so
it should be easy for people to write the web notebooks.

I guess some of you must have thought about this, but I am just
posting it here, as I like this idea (so far).

Ondrej

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/849dd3e9811f5d62