[IPython-dev] Qt/Curses interfaces future: results of the weekend mini-sprint (or having fun with 0mq)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 23 18:44:08 EDT 2010

Brian Granger wrote:

>>> We want the user-facing client (be it readline-, curses- or qt-based)
>> or wx-based?
>
> Yes, of course.  But, we should be clear of an important point.
> Because this new approach uses the 2 process model, the GUI used by
> the frontend could be different from the GUI used by the kernel (where
> use code is run).  Thus, a Qt-based frontend GUI could drive a kernel
> that uses wx for matplotlib/traits/etc.

got it -- nice.

However, I"d like to see it embedded in my editor of choice (Peppy),
which is written in wx, so it would be nice to have a wx version ready
to embed.

> Obviously, someone would have to step up and implement a wx based frontend though.

yes, there is that. I wish I had more time for all the stuff I"d like to do.

> We are planning to continue to pick away at this, but if you or others
> have any funding ideas (that would help us to prioritize this work
> over the many other things we have going on), please let us know.

I'll be patient -- I wish I had ideas for $$$

I suppose you've thought of Google Summer of Code already  -- if you can
give it a py3k slant, anyway.

Thanks for the great work!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov