[IPython-dev] Support for Windows HPC Server 2008

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:43:42 EST 2010

Hi,

I wanted to let everyone know that the upcoming 0.11 release of IPython (now
in trunk) has support for Windows HPC Server 2008.  What does this mean?
Now, IPython's parallel computing capabilties
(ipcluster/ipengine/ipcontroller) are fully integrated with the Windows HPC
job scheduler.  The Windows HPC job scheduler is quite nice (one of the
nicer batch systems I have dealt with) and this integration makes it quite
easy to use start and stop IPython controllers.engines on a Windows
cluster.  Here are some links about this:

A whitepaper about using IPython on Windows HPC Server 2008:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/News?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ipython_winhpc_whitepaper_v1.pdf

A short announcement on the IPython website:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/News?action=show

Docs:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/parallel/parallel_winhpc.html
http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/parallel/parallel_demos.html

Screencasts on Microsoft's dev network:

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/The+HPC+Show/Open-source-HPC-code-Episode-11-IPython-Grid-Engine-running-on-Windows-HPC-Server-2008/
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/The+HPC+Show/Open-source-HPC-code-Episode-12-IPython-computes-150-million-digits-of-Pi-in-Parallel/

Microsoft was very generous is funding Brian Granger to work on this.  We
hope that this is the beginning of more open collaboration between Microsoft
and the various open source projects in Python ecosystem.

Cheers,

Brian