[IPython-dev] DreamPie - a new graphical Python shell

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Feb 21 10:07:16 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 05:02:20PM +0200, Noam Yorav-Raphael wrote:
> * History management is there - the recent values computed are saved,
> and all your command and output history is saved too. You can even
> save it to a HTML file.

What I specificaly want is recalling based on the begining of a line.

> * GUI event loops are there - GTK, Tkinter, and QT event loops are
> automatically supported, in a way very similar to Tkinter in the
> traditional interpreter - handling events while idle.

Cool. I missed that. That's nice.

> * Tracebacks are not really fancy, but are colored in red so that it's
> easy to distinguish them from normal output.

:( . IPython's traceback really improve my productivity, because they often
allow me to pin-point the problem immediatly.

> * Completion of file names is there too, using a popup list.

Cool!

> * Fancy tracebacks and debugger support - right now pdb works like in
> the classic interpreter, but I'm sure IPython supports better
> debugging.
> * Shell support. (you can use os.system, but it's not the same thing)
> * '?' and '??'. I guess that in a graphical environment it's best if
> the help appears in a new window.

And the magics too :).

> That's a great list. I hope I will be able to implement those. Thanks!

Good luck.

> > Does 'Ctrl-C' work in Dreampie?

> Works like charm... It was hard getting it right on Windows, but I managed it.

Good work. That's indeed hard.

By the way, DreamPie is licensed under GPL. This means that commercial
users (even those doing open source) are quite likely to reimplement it,
rather than to reuse it. That's a pitty, if you are putting so much
effort in it.

Best,

Gaël