[IPython-dev] using reST for representing the notebook cells+text

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Feb 16 21:21:47 EST 2010

Hi,

has anyone given a deeper thought how to best implement this functionality?

Currently the Sage notebook seems to remember the worksheet using:

--------------
sdsd
system:sage

{{{id=5|
awe
///
}}}

{{{id=1|
4
///
4
}}}

{{{id=2|
5
///
5
}}}

{{{id=3|

///
}}}
---------------------

E.g. each cell is either a text cell, or a cell that can be evaluated.
Is that right?

I know that Fernando suggested here:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/3f1f5a0c26975519/

to use reST, e.g. something like:

----------
Well, some text

::
     >>> print 3
     3

------------

I am implementing a notebook prototype using pure Python
(automatically translated to javascript using pyjamas) and I would
like to run it on the google app engine (the javascript in your
browser would then communicate either with the app engine, or your own
hardware that would host Sage/FEMhub/your own code):

http://gamma.sympy.org/nb/

and here is my development version with logins and settings implemented:

http://2.latest.sympy-gamma.appspot.com/nb/

now I need to implement the worksheets, so I am thinking how to best
represent it.

Did the syntax for input/output blocks in Sphinx settled already? I
guess internally I will implement the worksheet as a set of cells,
either text cells, or "evaluatable" cells (that contain both
input/output blocks) and then support conversion to and from
reST/Sphinx.

I would be interested in any feedback.

Ondrej