[IPython-dev] Quieting the kernel, logging strategy.

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 19:07:13 EST 2010

Hey Omar,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/8 Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> I am a bit hesitant of having ansi colored log files as these will not work
>> on Windows.  Minimally, this needs to be optional.
>
> Definitely optional.  Even on posix, leaving ansi escapes in a file is
> annoying, as they tend to confuse editors (the file isn't plain text
> anymore, it's now binary).  But it can be a nice option if monitoring
> interactively from a terminal.
>
> I'll try to review Omar's code in a bit.  Thanks a lot for all the feedback!

Brian just reminded me that in the main IPython code, we already have
the start of proper logging support.  If you look in
IPython/core/application.py, line 133, you'll see the logging
initialization.  This is currently mostly used only by the
engine/cluster code, but Brian did already put in the right
architecture, so have a look at that code and the formats it uses for
logging.

Brian, what's a good part of the code to see examples of how to use it
in action?