[IPython-dev] good news bad news

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:21:52 EDT 2010

On 8/27/10 12:46 AM, Brian Granger wrote:
> I have been playing more with the Qt Frontend that has GUi support.
> So far all of the testing I have done recently is with the Qt
> eventloop enabled in the kernel.
>
> Good news:
>
> * also all of the matplotlib examples that I have tried are working.
> I would say we are over 90% working with mpl examples.
> * I have started to try out tvtk/mayavi examples and most of them fail
> miserably, either freezing or crashing the kernel entirely.
>
> I think an in between thing to try is trait based apps.  Evan, do you
> have some good examples of trait apps we can try in the kernel?

from enthought.traits.api import HasTraits, Float

class Foo(HasTraits):
     x = Float()

f = Foo()
f.edit_traits()

> Like
> we had to modify matplotlib, I expect we will have to patch traits and
> Mayavi as well.

Possibly. Both Traits and Pyface (and thus Envisage Workbench apps like Mayavi)
do try to check if there is a QApplication already existing before creating one,
but we may not be doing exactly the right things. Search for QApplication in
enthought.traits.ui.qt4.toolkit and enthought.pyface.ui.qt4.init to see what we do.

Are you sure that you have ETS_TOOLKIT=qt4 set?

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco