[IPython-dev] Spurious newline in prompts in newkernel?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 20:53:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, here is what 0.10 looks like for me:
>
> In [1]: a = 10
>
> In [2]: a
>
> Out[2]: 10

Those aren't the defaults, that's picking up your config.  If you
start an ipython 0.10.x without a ~/.ipython dir, you get:

(ipython-0.10.1)uqbar[~]> mv .ipython/ .ipython.tmp
(ipython-0.10.1)uqbar[~]> ip
Welcome to IPython. I will try to create a personal configuration directory
where you can customize many aspects of IPython's functionality in:

/home/fperez/.ipython
Initializing from configuration:
/home/fperez/usr/opt/virtualenv/ipython-0.10.1/lib/python2.6/site-packages/IPython/UserConfig

Successful installation!

[.... snipped]
Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:57:41)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: a=10

In [2]: a
Out[2]: 10

In [3]:
Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)?
(ipython-0.10.1)uqbar[~]>

I chose those defaults in my ocd-driven frenzy to:

- visually group related input/output together

- visually separate each input from its neighbors

This set of defaults seemed to be the best balance between using
vertical space conservatively while providing some separation between
commands.

We can tweak things later to get the above behavior back, no worries.
I just wanted to note it so we don't forget.