[IPython-dev] Full input syntax support finished and ready for review/merge

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:55:23 EDT 2010

Evan and Fernando,

I have merged both the updated trunk and Evan's qtfrontend branch into
my newkernel branch.  BUT, let's not create a new branch yet because
Evan and I will be committing to our branches all day while you are at
a meeting.  Thus, until we can all sync properly, let's continue to
use my newkernel branch as the main development branch for this work.
Maybe later tonight once Evan and I are done coding and are fully
synch'd again, we can create the new branch.

Also:

* The %edit magic is working.
* All magics that use paging are now working.

Evan will have to update the frontends to do something more sensible
than the basic things I am doing (eg, I just have the frontend print
for paging for now).
In terms of the original timeline that we outlined with Eric, we are
pretty close to being on target.  The only places we are lacking a bit
are:

* We said we would have exceptions coming back in a structured form by
this week.
* We said we would start the GUI integration stuff.
* We said we would have tab completion working.  For very basic
things, it is working, but the more I have played with it, the more I
have found that doesn't work.

Even though technically, we are a little behind, I feel really good
because I think we are further ahead in other important ways.  The
payload system has worked extremely well and has made things like edit
and paging way easier than we thought.  The payload system should also
make it easy to get the other magics working (not sure which don't
work right now).

For next week here is what we have listed on the timeline:

* Additional magics ported.  I think we can just start to go through
all of our magics and get the rest working.  This is tedious, but
shouldn't be too bad with
the payload stuff in place.
* Plotting support starts to work.  This will be our big task for next
week I think and could be a lot of work.
* Finish the things we didn't finish from this week.
* Other little things that have come up (I have a list).

I have to run some errands this afternoon, but I will be around later.
 Should we plan on talking again on Monday at 9 am?

Cheers,

Brian