[IPython-dev] Message spec draft more fleshed out

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:14:10 EDT 2010

A note on the heartbeat section.

I don't know if you guys are using the heartbeat messages, but my heartbeat
monitor doesn't  use Python messages at all. It's pure ZMQ, so it never
enters Python code, and packing up of reply messages isn't available. The
monitor sends out a single zmq message (right now, it is a str of the
monitor's lifetime in seconds), and gets the same message right back,
prefixed with the zmq identity of the XREQ socket in the heartbeat process.
This can be a uuid, or even a full message, but I don't see a need for
packing up a message when the sender and receiver are the exact same Python
object.

The model is this:
monitor.send(str(self.lifetime)) # '1.2345678910'
and the monitor receives some number of messages of the form:
['uuid-abcd-dead-beef', '1.2345678910']
where the first part is the zmq.IDENTITY of the heart's XREQ on the engine,
and the rest is the message sent by the monitor.  No Python code ever has
any access to the message between the monitor's send, and the monitor's
recv.

-MinRK