[IPython-dev] Curses Frontend Update

Wendell Smith wackywendell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:55:00 EDT 2010

Hello!

I have been busy coding away, trying to get two prototypes written for
the eventual curses frontend.

They are EXTREMELY basic - they don't even interpret code, just spit it
back out (although in the right place and correctly colored). They are
full of bugs, don't resize well, etc. - but, well, they are prototypes.

What they do:
They both have 3 windows: completions, output, and input. The
completions window shows some default text, the input window accepts
text input, and after hitting enter or <ctrl-g>, the entered code is
highlighted and displayed in the output window.

I wrote these both mainly to compare urwid and curses, which I think
they do fairly well. the urwid library is quite nice, and although
documentation is not perfect, it is good, and the whole thing provides
far more than curses - curses requires you to manually handle resizing,
for example. The code for the urwid part is therefore far simpler, and
was written much faster. It of course requires urwid (easy_install
urwid), and both require pygments (also available with easy_install).
Urwid is much nicer... but development is only semi-active, and they
don't seem at all prepared to port to python3, which is of course important.

Anyways, please download the code, run the prototypes, tell me what you
think!

Code is on github here:
git://github.com/wackywendell/ipyurwid.git
git://github.com/wackywendell/ipycurses.git

-Wendell