[IPython-dev] Bug handling: launchpad, github, other?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 22:01:39 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-15 19:53 , Fernando Perez wrote:

> But it does seem like the Google team did a good job thinking about
> this: the apparent simplicity of a labels-only approach with just
> enough of an underlying model to provide some useful structure.
>
> If we end up with GH, these are good references to have, if nothing
> else, to file as requests with their system.

Well, not quite. Like I said, Google Code's labels only look like labels. They
are actually flexible, possibly ad hoc, field-based metadata (or can be; some of
the labels are just labels). For example, you could have a DueBy field with
labels like DueBy-2010-04-15. In the table view, a DueBy column would appear,
and 2010-04-15 would appear in the cell for that issue. With GitHub's labels,
every single DueBy-<date> label would appear in the list of available labels.
That would quickly make an unusable UI.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."