[IPython-dev] Windows crash - pyreadline? [was Re: IPython Crash Report]

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Thu Apr 15 14:14:23 EDT 2010

Fernando Perez skrev 2010-04-15 19:54:
> Howdy,
>
> below is a crash report from a windows user (full report attached).  I
> tested with 0.10 on linux and can't reproduce the problem, what I get
> is:
>
> In [1]: 'esth'.startswith(None)
> TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
>
> /home/fperez/tmp/junk/<ipython console>  in<module>()
>
> TypeError: expected a character buffer object
>

> and the session continues OK, but I don't have a windows box right now
> that I can test on.
>
> Can anyone see it on windows?
> Jorgen, do you think this could be a pyreadline problem?

I can not reproduce this problem but I'm on XP on 32 bit machine.
However I see the c:\python26\script directory in the traceback and this
made me think that it could be a setuptools problem. I have seen strange
things if you launch ipython using the exe file that setuptools
generates. Can you confirm wether you are using that exe file? If you
are can you try launching ipython without it.

/Jörgen