[IPython-dev] Summer's work in merged

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:01:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

I just merged all of my work from this summer into trunk.  This represents a
massive number of
changes to the IPython core.  Here are some highlights:

* Completely new config system and files.
* New extension API.
* No more ipmaker, shell.py, threaded shells, or ipapi.
* Component, Traitlets, Application = new foundation for moving forward
* IPython still works!  I tried *extremely* hard to make sure that as I
refactored things
  the user's experience would not change.  And considering the number of
changes
  that have taken place, I think I was successful.
* BUT, I am sure there are many things that are broken.  Somethings that I
know are
  broken:  all extensions, the GUIs in frontend and gui.  There will be many
other
  things as well.
* Refactored prefilter system.
* Robust GUI support through PyOS_Inputhook (See the new %gui magic).
* Documentation updates.
For more information, check out the What's new section of the documentation
in
the source at:

docs/source/whatsnew

There is also a nice description of the new config system in:

docs/source/config

We will get these things up on the IPython website soon for folks to look
at.

If you an IPython developer, the main thing to look at is the Component
class
and how we are using it in InteractiveShell, PrefilterManager and
AliasManager.
Our goal is to make *everything* in IPython a component.  This is the main
abstraction for making IPython more testable, more hackable and more loosely
coupled.

Cheers,

Brian