[IPython-dev] "__builtins__.True = False" causes weird behaviours

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 16:26:02 EST 2009

> Good morning :)
>
> How do you fix these in the trunk? Raising an exception if a user enters
> any of the forbidden assignments ?

I didn't!  It was random chance that it got fixed.  I have been doing a lot
of work on the trunk this summer and one of the big things I did was
completely refactor the threaded shells (-pylab).   My guess is that that
code relied on True not being False and didn't handle the failure properly.
But, all that code is gone now...

> Fortunately not many out who has the obsession of defining True as False.
> Somewhat I connect this to Wittgenstein's belief that "There are no
> philosophical questions, but only language puzzles."

Yes, this is the type of thing that Java geeks would laugh at.

Cheers,

Brian