[IPython-dev] ipython as a debugger command-line interface?

Rocky Bernstein rocky at gnu.org
Tue Mar 10 15:23:08 EDT 2009

This is slightly different that what I was suggesting, but I subscribe to
the Perl notion that "There's more than one way to do it".

If one wants to use ipython as a front end (and I don't see a reason why
not), then the way I'd approach this is to make ipython understand some sort
of common debugging protocol. Otherwise you have  M x N combinations of M
front-ends and N back ends, versus  M+N. (But I realize since this list may
only care about about ipython, it is  N vs. 1.)

Gdb uses the protocol called GDB/MI, but outside of gdb I don't think any
other debugger has adopted it. ActiveState uses
DBGp<http://www.xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php>,
and not just for their Python IDE and debugger but also I believe for Tcl,
Ruby and Python. And I'm given to believe that there are other Python
debuggers that use DBGp as well. So right now that's what I'm contemplating
in pydbgr <http://code.google.com/p/pydbgr/>.