[IPython-dev] Configuration, hooks and plugins

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:44:26 EDT 2009

> I like Mercurial's approach. Plugins are just Python packages/modules
> exposing a
> particular API. Having those packages installed *does not* enable them. To
> enable them, you list the ones you want in the configuration file. Truth be
> told, that's fairly similar to the current situation: you just import the
> appropriate things in your ipy_user_conf.py and maybe activate them, except
> that
> there is no standardized plugin API.

I too like this approach and a definitely think installing and
enabling should be two different steps.

How does Mercurial declare/discover plugins?  Does it use setuptools?
I will look at this.  Because IPython plugin's are often extremely
lightweight, it would be nice if users could simply drop them into
.ipython/plugins for installation.

Cheers,

Brian