[IPython-dev] IPython module and package reorganization

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Tue Jun 30 17:24:54 EDT 2009

Brian Granger skrev:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to begin a significant reorganization of nearly all of
> IPython's packages and modules.  This is in preparation for the work
> on the IPython core that I will be dong this summer.  Here is a
> document describing what I propose to do:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/module-reorg/annotate/head%3A/docs/source/development/reorg.txt
>
> I highly recommend looking at this as it will affect everyone.
>
> The main thing I need feedback on at this point are the top-level
> module names we will use.  Please have a look and let me know what you
> think.

Hi,

I'm happy to hear you have the opportunity to focus and do this work. I
believe it will make it a lot easier to get new people involved if it is
easier to understand how everything works.

Near the end of the document you say everrything will follow pep-8 but
in all the renames the toplevel still has uppercase letters in it i.e.
IPython. Is this an oversight or do you feel a change in top level name
will cause too muh inconvenience? Personally I think this is the right
opportunity to change it.

How are the changes to the testing framework going? Currently the tests
don't work at all on windows in trunk. There is a WindowsError and no
tests are processed.

/Jörgen